Business Plan Competition Guidelines
Do you have a business plan or startup venture that shows significant business potential for the burgeoning baby boomer market, which represents more than $2 trillion in spending power? We invite you to enter your business plan for the 2018 Silicon Valley Boomer Venture Summit and Business Plan Competition. From early-stage ventures to fintech – health and money to connected care – the connected home and caregiver, plans that bring services to people & chronic disease management and more (see categories below). The 2018 SVBVS Business Plan competition aims to generate the best ideas from the best universities that answer the investment theses of our investor community. and tap into the business expertise and creativity of entrepreneurs around the globe. If you’d like to sponsor the competition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Less than $1M capital raised or revenues
- Project may be in the market market but it is not required. Idea or MVP stage is acceptable.
- Able to attend the conference June 20-21, 2018 in Berkeley, CA
- Focused on one of these categories in the Boomer market:
- Cognitive fitness
- Ai and voice enabled tech
- Gig economy and services
- Chronic disease management
- Connected home
- Personalized care
- Financial tech
- Predictive analytics and chronic disease management
- Leisure time
- Managing the latest stages of life
Please apply for the Business Plan competition HERE by June 1, 2018 11:59pm PST
For questions: please email email@example.com
All entries submitted by the deadline of June 1, 2018 11:59PM PST will be judged by professionals within the venture capital, business, media and education communities. First Round Judges Review the 10 Page Slide Deck Submission for Financials and Executive Summaries. Each judge brings expertise in the Boomer Market and various segments of the space. Selected finalists will have an opportunity to make any revisions up to the several days before the competition (deadline will be communicated).
Finalists selected will be asked to commit to presenting their respective plans on Thursday, June 21, 2018. Finalists will each receive 2 tickets to the pre-conference + conference days: June 20-21.
Judges will review the entrepreneurs’ onstage presentation of their 10 Slide Deck Business Plan at the summit.
Finalists will also share an exhibit table at the Silicon Valley Boomer Venture Summit and be invited to attend Learning Journeys on June 22, 2018.
Winners receive $10,000 cash check with no restrictions.
- April 23 – June 1: Application open
- June 1: Deadline for applications
- June 1 – 8: Screening judges review all business plans
- June 11: Business plan finalists announced
- June 18: Finalists submit pitch presentation
- June 20: Bootcamp for finalists
- June 21: Business plan competition
PROBLEM STATEMENT –
- Is the problem statement and solution to the problem statement clear and well defined?
- Is the value proposition sound?
MARKET OPPORTUNITY –
- Why is there a need for this company’s solution?
- What is the market opportunity?
- Are there any market issues that the plan did not acknowledge but that need to be addressed?
- Is the market opportunity/need distinct for the Boomer Population?
COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE –
- Competition: What does the market look for?
- Who would be the initial competitors and who would be likely competitors in the future?
- What is the company’s unique competitive advantage?
- What are the hurdles to entering the business?
PROPOSED SOLUTION –
- Is the solution to market clearly articulated?
- Is the product/service unique and defensible, patentable?
- Can the company make money with this product?
- Is there a demonstrated ability to achieve market leadership?
- Is there a well-defined plan to penetrate the market?
- How difficult would it be to enter the defined market segment with the proposed business idea?
BUSINESS MODEL –
- Is the business model clearly articulated?
- Is it operationally feasible?
- Is the value proposition sound?
- Does the company address major relevant risks and appropriate mitigation plans?
- How strong is the ability to get break-even capital? How reasonable are projections?
- Is the model scalable? Financially viable?
- Has the management team been defined?
- Is there industry expertise/prior success in the management team?
Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, mutilated or illegible entries nor for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor or presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this contest, the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest.
Intellectual Property Protection
Organizers and sponsors of the 2018 Silicon Valley Boomer Business Plan Competition have taken reasonable measures to ensure that all contestants retain their rights to their business plans and any intellectual property. Organizers and sponsors shall make no claim to any of the property or rights.
Additionally, the finalists will present their business plans to attendees of the 2018 Silicon Valley Boomer Venture Summit and Business Plan Competition on June 21, 2018 at The Claremont. The content of presentations is at the discretion of each contestant.
By entering this contest all contestants indemnify organizers and sponsors of the 2018 Silicon Valley Boomer Venture Summit and Business Plan Competition from any liability whatsoever arising out of this contest.